The Love of.....

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My dinner last night...


I'm so not a 'planner'- I just spontaneously decide to make things.....
I DO like to plan some meals- but I'd say more often than not- I check what I have in the refrigerator and pantry and imagine up a meal. I think that this is where I practice my 'art time' - since I rarely get to work on making jewelry, let alone- painting, drawing, letter making......etc. Since there needs to be food on the table every day, I guess I've made a compromise. To artfully cook. HA!

Last night I looked through Simple Suppers cookbook and mentally checked off ingredients I KNEW I had....and decided on Curried Tofu with Tomatoes~ (I added zucchini to the mix, too)
Pictured here, also, is my son's favorite appetizer- Roasted Potatoes and Sweet potatoes with garlic and rosemary, and fried zucchini.
For the roasted potatoes-I cut up 2 medium sized sweet potatoes (yams are what they are, rather!!!), and 1 large, large! potato. Cube and drizzle with olive oil until well covered. Mince about 5 cloves of garlic and also about.....a tablespoon of fresh rosemary. Dried rosemary is ok, but not the best ;-) Mix with your hands, well. Broil at 550 degrees for about 12 min or until well browned. Stir have way through broiling!

Here's the Simple Suppers recipe for the curry:

2 cups chopped onions
1 large red pepper
1 t salt
2 T oil
4 cloves garlic ( I put at least 5+ in)
1 1/2 T grated peeled ginger root
2 T Curry Powder or Garam Masala
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 cake firm tofu (I put 1/2 amount in), cubed
1 28 can of diced tomatoes
black pepper or hot sauce- this is where I made a mistake, HAHA! I decided (without tasting) that Black Pepper would not be enough- I added some good shakes of Cayenne.....YIKES, it was spicy! But good. Sour cream or plain yogurt tones it down a bit
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY~ Fresh Cilantro- chopped. As much as you like. ;-)

In a large saucepan with a lid, cook the onions, peppers, (zucchini, too!) and salt in the oil on medium-high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, Curry Powder, cinnamon, and tofu, Cover and cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer for about 10 min. to allow the flavors to develop. Occasionally stir gently. Add black pepper or hot sauce to taste.
Serve with Naan bread- flatbread.....whatever bread you like ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment